project / CV
Neera Adarkar, one of the three partners in Adarkar Associates, is an architect and an urban researcher. After her graduation in architecture from Sir J. J. College of Architecture, Mumbai University, Neera completed her post-graduation in Industrial Design from I.I.T. Powai, Mumbai.
After a short stint as a free lance industrial designer and as an architectural assistant the in LIC under the consultancy of Charles Correa, Neera joined architectural practice of Arvind Adarkar in 1981 and since then running a joint practice with Arvind Adarkar and Arun Kale under the name of Adarkar Associates.
Neera’s concern in social, urban and gender issues has resulted in her associations with various organization and NGOs in Mumbai. She is a founder member and trustee of Majlis, a NGO engaged with cultural and urban issues. She is one of the founder members of Women Architects Forum which looks at the built environment from a gender perspective.
As part of the team of Adarkar Associates, Neera has designed several private and public projects in and out of Mumbai. The project of Listing and Grading of heritage buildings all the 9 wards of the Island City was executed under her leadership.
Neera has been extensively quoted as an expert and as an author /researcher in the print media. She is also very often invited in the electronic media. She has several published articles and three books to her credit and has presented several papers in conference and delivered talks on urban, cultural, architectural, heritage and gender issues in India and outside.
She has been a visiting faculty member of Architectural Design and as a guide to final year Thesis in three different colleges of architecture in Mumbai periodically over last 20 years.
Association with Professional and Expert bodies
Member, Council of Architecture (COA No. CA/85/9505)
Member, Board of Studies Architecture, Goa University .
National Committee member, Pakistan India Peoples Forum for Peace and Democracy.
Member of High Court Legal Services Committee, Mumbai.
Trustee, MAJLIS, a Legal and Cultural Center for Women.
Co-Founder, Stree Uvach publishing group.
Adjunct faculty member in the University Department of Sociology.
Co-convener, Mumbai Peoples Action Committee.
Contribution in Print Media
- Business World (Book) - June 27, 2005
- The Times of India ( Delhi Times) - September 28, 2004
- The Times of India - April 7, 2001
- The Times of India ( Times City ) - April 7, 2001
- The Times of India - August 27, 2004
- The Indian Express - August 27, 2004
- The Indian Express (Pune Newsline) - September 14, 2004
- Mid Day - August 29, 2004
- The Asian Age - August 27, 2004
- Dawn - September 7, 2004
- Samna (Book) - August 26, 2004
- The Times of India - February 12, 2006
- The Indian Express - February 12, 2006
- Afternoon Despatch of Courier - January 22, 2005
Samna - May 12, 2005
- The Times of India - March 20, 2005
- The Times of India - June 1, 1997
- Indian Express - March 6, 2005
- Mauj (Diwali’03) – 2003
- Architecture Time Space - December 2005
- Time Out - April 7, 2005
- Loksatta - January 15, 2006
- Loksatta - February 16, 2005
Publications Books Articles:
- ‘One Hundred Years : One Hundred Voices, Oral History Mill workers of Girangaon, , Co-Authored with Meena Menon, Seagull publishers. 2004
- 'The Nation, The State, and The Indian' Identity, , Co editeded with Flavia Agnes and Madhusree Datta,Oxford University Press 1994.
- Katha Mumbaichya Girangavachi, , Mouj Publications, Mumbai 2007.
- Women and Infrastructural Amenities in Urban Housing' Women and Shelter,
Published by University of Michigan , USA . 1992
- Paper presented at University
of Michigan , USA 1992
- .‘Gendering of the Culture of Building, A Case Study of Mumbai’,
Article published in ‘Economic and Political Weekly October 2003.
- ‘Recycling Mill land: Tumultuous experience of Mumbai‘,
Article co authored with V.K. Phatak, published in ‘Economic and Political Weekly‘,
- Women and Theatre, 1890 to 1930,
Article published in ‘Economic and Political Weekly, 1991.
- ‘Women and Theatre in Maharashtra , 1890 to 1930’,.
Research paper published in ‘Economic and Political Weekly ‘, December 1993.
Guest Lectures and Presentations in seminars / conferences
- Presentation on Globalisation and Development of Mill Lands in Mumbai:
For Planners and Alumni of Cornell University , USA . 2006 and 2007.
- ‘Conserving Past for Future’ International conference on Conservation in the Changing societies, Heritage and Development .
- Raymond Lemaire International Centre for Conservation), ( Katholic University ) Leuven , Belgium May 22-25, 2006 .
- Presentation of Professional work of Adarkar Associates in the event 12 x 12
organised in CEPT, Ahmedabad, December 2005.
- Presentation on ‘Textile Industrial lands and development of Mumbai:
For architects and Planners from Asia Link Programme, University of K.U.Leuven Kasteelpark Belgium , Sri Lanka and Pakistan . 2005.
- Participation in the panel discussion on march 8, Centenary programme of Indian Merchant Chamber Mumbai. ‘Women and Theatre in Maharashtra , 1890 to 1930’,
- Research paper presented in the Women's Studies Conference 1991, in Jadhavpur University , Bengal . ‘Growth of a city’
- Lecture to Post graduae students, College of Social Work Nirmala Niketan , Mumbai. ‘Make over of Mumbai’ Symbiosis Institute of Management, Pune. ‘Heritage of Mumbai’
- Rotary Club, Mumbai, South Mumbai . ‘Bilateral relations: India and Pakistan ’
- Lion Club Mumbai, Sion. Mumbai : ‘History and Heritage’ National College of Arts , Lahore .
- Curetted a week’s visit to Mumbai of the Post Graduate Urban Planning students from Katholik University, Belgium, February 2007.